GUEST BLOGGER: NEENA VILAS TALPADE
Truly enough, cucumbers are cooling for the system and are voraciously crunched upon, in the hot summer months.
However, apart from re-hydrating, cucumbers have several other health benefits as well.They alleviate sunburn, improve the skin and bones. The humble cucumber is believed to even help fight cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Let’s look at a simple recipe that combines the satisfying full feeling that a pancake gives, along with the ‘coolness’ of the cucumber.
- Cucumbers: 2-3 medium sized, grated
- Freshly scraped coconut: 1/4 cup
- Milk: 3/4 cup or more, enough to make a pancake batter
- Well beaten egg: 1
- Baking powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Semolina: 1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour (maida) 1/2 cup
- Oil, ghee or butter for greasing the pan
- Grated Cheese(for topping if desired)
Note 1: Vegetarians may omit the egg.
Note 2: Coconut milk powder-1 small packet OR coconut milk tetra pack – 1/2 pack may be used instead of the fresh coconut.
Note 3: If you wish to ‘spice up’ your pancake, you may add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera), 1-2 finely sliced green chillies and some chopped coriander leaves to the batter.
- Combine all the ingredients from 1-7 above.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan.
- Grease with oil, ghee or butter.
- Pour a ladle-full of batter on to it and spread medium-thin and evenly.
- Cover and cook for a minute.
- Turn and cook for another minute.
- Serve hot off the griddle, with a topping of grated cheese OR chopped coriander leaves.
It is certain to leave you asking for more and more!