Sweet Corn Pancakes – Healthy & Delicious
Guest blogger: Neena Vilas Talpade
My sister Neena is an amazing cook. Every time I visit her, I insist that she make these most scrumptious pancakes with sweet corn. They will have you licking your fingers. Yum yum…
Preparation time: 15 mins
1 cup corn kernels (short-cut: hold the corn-cob with the left hand, the tip pointing downwards., and run a sharp knife down its sides if you don’t mind just a wee bit being left behind in the cob. Steam for 3-4 mins.
- Two tablespoons each of all purpose flour or whole wheat flour, semolina and rice flour. (Don’t worry if any one of these is missing from your pantry-just increase the quantity of the others!
- One egg, well-beaten. ( or instead- two well-beaten egg-whites)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Salt to taste.
- A cup of milk
- Butter or refined oil to coat the frying pan. If salted butter is to be used, use a little less salt.
- Grated cheese for topping-as desired!
Combine ingredients 1-7 well. Use milk as required, adding a little at a time. The mixture should be light.
- Put griddle on a medium fire.(preferably non-stick)
- Put 1/2 teaspoon oil or butter on the pan. Spread the oil all over.
- Use a large spoon or a ladle to drop the mixture on the pan. Spread a not too thick and not too thin pancake.
- Cover and cook for a minute or so.
- Turn and cook the other side for half a minute. Turn.
- Pour some grated cheese.
- Garnish with a sprig of parsley.
Makes 6-8 pancakes
Note 1: You may sprinkle any of your favourite herbs like basil, oregano, etc.
Note 2: You may omit the herbs and top with maple syrup or honey!
ENJOY right off the griddle. You will agree that it’s a truly yummy yet extremely easy-to -make breakfast fare!